Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Milo James

Our little boy Milo entered the world on Wednesday, June 16th at 12:44 a.m.  I was going into labor every night the week before he was born.  My contractions weren't steady and consistent so I would just end up going to bed and they would go away.  On Monday night I had contractions through the night, waking me up.  On Tuesday morning I had my doctor's appointment and I felt horrible.  I told Aaron he had to come with me so we called his mom over to babysit Maggie while we went to my appointment.  At my appointment I was still dilated to a 3 and 50% effaced.  I was so bummed that I wasn't further along.  My doctor told me that if I was having any contractions to go into labor and delivery right away because I was a high risk case since I was having a VBAC.  When we got home, Aaron went into work and his mom stayed with me because I was still feeling horrible.  Around 11am my contractions started again and they were pretty steady.  My sister Katie came over at noon to drop off some things for me and ended up staying and timing contractions with me and Melissa (Aaron's mom).  By 2pm I called Aaron to come home from work and take me to the hospital.  Melissa went home to finish her work, since she was going to be in the delivery room with us and my sister Katie ended up staying with Maggie.  Aaron got home and we headed to the hospital.  They checked me in and and a mid-wife soon saw me.  She stripped my membranes and immediately I was 5 centimeters dilated.  She then told me that I was for sure staying and having a baby!  I was crying (mostly because stripping membranes was so, so, so painful) out of joy and pain!  My mom got there right before I was emitted into the labor and delivery suite and Melissa got there when right when I got into the suite.  I got an epidural as fast as I could, even though my contractions didn't hurt.  I know people are going to be mad at me for saying this but I had no pain with contractions until transition.  They had me at a very low dose of epidural until I hit transition and felt the worst pain in the entire world!  They quickly upped my epidural and the pain went away.  Thank heavens for epidurals!  A couple of hours later I felt massive pressure on my tailbone and I knew I was ready to push.  I called in my nurse and she said I was at a 10 and ready to push.  My mid-wife came in and I started pushing.  I pushed for about 20 minutes and Milo was born!  They flopped him on my chest and the first thing I said was how chubby he was!  Compared to Maggie he was huge!  He weighed 8 pounds 2 ounces and was 20 1/2 inches long.  The whole labor and delivery staff were really impressed because I had a successful VBAC with such a big baby.  The mid-wife said that my next baby will just flop out of me.  Kind of gross but nice to hear.  Milo has been such a wonderful baby.  He is a good nurser, latched on right away with no problem.  Plus it's only been 6 months since I nursed Maggie, so my milk came in right away and I'm much more confident in nursing.  It is so fun to have a little boy.  Aaron and I are soooo happy and thrilled to have two kids who are so adorable and wonderful.  My mom has been with me all week and is staying until Friday.  It's been so great to have my mom with me.  She's taking care of Maggie so I can take care of Milo.  She and Aaron make dinner every night together and she cleans up.  I wish she would just stay forever!  Anyway, that's Milo's story.  I'm so glad I was able to have a VBAC and experience giving birth.  I'll never forget it.

First Mommy and Milo picture (I was shaking so bad I had to hold my face!)
Here he is!

Daddy and Milo picture

When he first got home

15 comments:

Marly C said...

That is a great story! I'm so glad that you were able to have a VBAC!He is adorable. I can't wait to see him in person.

My Homestead said...

I was SO happy when I heard you got to have a vbac, mostly because I knew how badly you wanted that and because that meant you weren't pregnant anymore :)I love little chunky babies I can't wait to meet him. I'll call you next week to see how I can help I am feeling better now :)

Fealyclan said...

Congrats!! He is a beautiful boy! VBACs are scary so I'm glad all is well. Enjoy!

Amy said...

Oh Trena! He is adorable and what a great story! I'm so happy for you guys! AND, I'm so happy he's a happy guy!

Kristi said...

First of all, don't ever feel bad for having an epidural before you feel pain. That's the way it's supposed to be. Secondly, the stripping of membranes is one of the worst things in the world! Lastly, HE IS SO STINKING CUTE! I can't wait to see him. He looks just like Maggie!

Natalie said...

Congrats on little Milo! He is so cute. Hope life with two is easier than you thought.

Sherri Araiza said...

Congratulations! Little boys are so much fun! He is just beautiful.

Braden and Jodee said...

Congratulations! Love the story :) Thanks for sharing.

ashcraft8 said...

Congrats!!!! I'm so happy for you. He is adorable and quite the chunk. I love it.

EvaMarieva said...

He is so cute and I love his size. Congrats!

Emily said...

He's SOOO cute! Congratulations!! I'm glad that everything went well.

Merilee said...

I'm so happy for you. Congratulations, I hope he starts sleeping through the night.... really, wouldn't that be great?!!!

Katie said...

I love him SO much!! It's a great story with a happy ending!

Kara said...

Seriously...Trena...do you think this one looks like Aaron? Because all I am seeing is a miniature, male version of you!!!!!!!! I'm so floored right now with that last pic of him. CUTE, CUTE, CUTE...of course what else would you expect form me when I think you're so CUTE! Can't wait to meet him and see you!

Meleah Ekstrand said...

Trena he is adorable. I think he looks just like Aaron. I am so glad that you were able to get your VBAC and experience birth, it is pretty amazing! I actually didn't really feel pain until transition either, so I totally understand! Better that than screaming in pain and only being a 2!! I think it helps that you were already a 3 when labor really kicked in. I love early labor it makes the active labor not so bad! Congrats again!