At work, all the employees became automated with their timecards. This posed a problem with our Public Works staff, since the majority of them do not use a computer or have never touched a computer in their life. To help them out, I taught 6 classes to every Public Works employee demonstrating the new program, how to log into the system, check their email and most importantly, how to clock-in on their time card. In front of my cubicle there is a computer that some of the staff uses to clock-in to their time card. Everyday around 4 o'clock a few custodian night crews come in and log in. Javier is one of these people. During my training classes, Javier told me in his broken English that he has never touched a computer before. He's in his late 60's and never had to use a computer ever. When he first touched the mouse, he would nudge it, or bring it up in the air, trying to move the curser on the screen. Well, weeks and weeks have gone by and everyday at 4 o'clock Javier comes in to clock-in to his time card. And everyday I go over and have to help him. At first I would have to do it for him, but now he can mostly do it himself, with some reminders where to go on the screen. He noticed I was pregnant one day and told me he was very happy for me. We have really bonded over this whole experience and become great friends. Today, since it's almost the last day of work before the long holiday, he came in and we did the same drill, as I helped him clock-in on his time card. Before he left, he gave me an envelope with my name on it (spelt right!) and told me Merry Christmas. I opened the envelope and he wrote me a very sweet message and inside a gift card to Target as a baby present. It made be very grateful to have such wonderful people to work with and how helping out and being a friend is so rewarding. He would always thank me for helping him, but I really feel I need to thank him for reminding me about kindness and being patient (those things I lack). And of course... I'm really excited to use the Target card on Maggie. :P
4 years ago
5 comments:
How sweet, Trena. The simple things really ARE important aren't they? I'm glad you've made a friend and I'm sure he feels very thankful for your kindness and patience.
I really like the name Maggie too. Happy shopping! :o]
And thank you for your comments on my blog. I've gone a little blog crazy lately! lol
I know how Javier feels. Why did they ever get rid of the old punch in time clocks? Love, Mom
Tre, I love you. I love how there are some Trena-isms in this post. -"patients" and "spelt"- I love you, you are too cute.
That was such a nice story to read. You have one of my most favorite blogs. :-)
I loved reading this story. You are so sweet to help him out. I'm excited for Maggie to come. I'm totally baby crazy right now, definately wanting our second!
Merry Christmas to you and Aaron!!
Post a Comment