Friday, April 11, 2008

Tug of War

I know this might not make sense to everyone, but sometimes when I listen to really good music I have to turn it off because it's makes me upset that I'm not a better musician. I'm listening to Morrissey right now, and I always get that feeling when I listen to him. Such torture inside of me! One side telling me to turn it off for the sake of my self esteem, and the other side of me that can't bare to turn it off because of the quality of the music.

Does any type of music or art do it to you? Or am I just crazy?

9 comments:

Jessica Stier said...

I can SO totally relate to this. When I listen/see really great violinists I get like that. I used to be a pretty good player. Now I just suck. It pisses me off. I don't enjoy playing because I get so frustrated at my lessening ability. So the real answer would be to just do it and do it more, but I don't...

So, whatever I just wrote up there, I am trying to say, "I feel ya, sista!"

p.s. Morrissey makes me all melancholy. I remember when I drove to Seattle to see him with a bunch of girls. Good times.

Valentina Stier said...

So, the answer is- practice more. A musician must always play. It's important for your happiness. Come get the piano. Love, Mom

Melissa said...

You're crazy. I think you are amazing...definitely top notch compared to anyone else I know (including myself)...so stop being so hard on yourself! I love that you want to be amazing though...it is good there are musicians out there that make you want to be better!

Katie said...

if you would have followed my advice years ago and went after stardom, with me as your manager of course, you'de probably be the person other people are envying.. but, you didn't so now you only have a great marriage, a good job, and only get to be a mom some day.. nothing to envy there:) And- I ditto what mom said. Join the city orchestra or someting!

Kara said...

What are you talking about? You're an awesome musician. You have this adorable little guitar and can play countless instruments. I have never in my life heard anyone do a Celine Dion impersonation like you (remember the titanic song). I think I peed my pants that night...surprise, surprise.

Pixie said...

Oh yeah all the time! (Shakes head and mouths "noooooo") I do bum out once in awhile because I know I'm not keeping up with my skillz (wink) but I don't let it depress me because I know that my life is full without it anyway. It's my own fault for not making it a priority. But I don't let it deprive me of basking in the radiant glow of Moz for sure. ;)

Amy said...

That was SO fun to see you last night!!! Good party!

Emily said...

You know what I miss? Sitting next to you in high school, playing our horns very poorly and making fun of all the band geeks. As if I wasn't one of them!

Julia Loves David said...

I have never heard you play, but I'm sure you are a wonderful musician. I completely understand as a visual artist I am always down on my self for not doing more art work. We do need to meet sometime! Love the picture of you with the easter bunny :)